I have a pretty high pain tolerance. As in, yes, I can feel it, but usually I can just ignore it and not really think about it. I hurt myself fairly frequently from my indelible lack of grace (shocking, I know), but it’s rarely an issue.
We were doing dynamic stretches before the workout yesterday, and during one of them I felt painful pops in BOTH of my hamstrings. And it didn’t hurt so terribly after the initial strain, so I did the workout as RX’d (3RFT: 500m row, 7x 185# deadlift, 14x 20” box jump overs), because I’m an asshat.
After the workout, I felt sore. Like DOMS sore, not “Uh-oh, I messed up big time” sore. I tried a bit of stretching (probably exacerbating the issue, let’s be honest), but my hamstrings were sore to the touch, so I stopped. I went to Costco and walked around a bunch, but again - it wasn’t painful perse, it just felt like DOMS-esque soreness.
Fast forward to 4:30am, and after only a few hours of sleep, I woke up from pain. No position is comfortable. My hamstrings hurt even if I’m not moving. I tried to fall back asleep for about an hour, and then I gave up.
I crawled (quite literally) out of bed to go find a million milligrams of ibuprofen (which I should have done last night), and the most pathetic whimper in the world escaped my mouth. I whimpered. Ugh.
I would have put the pain at 2 during/immediately following the workout, about a 6 or 7 when I woke up, and maybe a 5 right now. A 5 right now, and I’m not moving.
tl;dr - (1) I’m really cranky, because (2) I’m exhausted and (3) I can’t sleep, because (4) I fucked up BOTH of my hamstrings while stretchingand now (5) I wince in pain every time that I move.
And this is why I don’t fucking stretch.
- alliegets likes this
- captainmudphud likes this
- themotherrunner likes this
- setcourseforkona said::(
- runswithpoodles likes this
- runlong likes this
- uhoh-janellio likes this
- liftheavyrunstrong likes this
- funnyrunner said:Are you trying to outdo my calf pull by pulling both your hamstrings? Guts, it’s not a competition.
- lysrunning said:In nursing school i’ve learned that any level of pain is unacceptable but level 4 requires immediate intervention & 5/6 is considered a medical emergency. Basically - if you wanted serious pain meds you could get them. Hope you didn’t pop them completely!
- notovernight said:And that is why I don’t do stretches before running. I stretch only after being warmed up.
- falllingforward said:Pops are bad. Rowing should have hurt a lot.
- runningwithcrohns likes this
- kevsfatfight likes this
- becky-balances said:You are the only person I know who reacts this way to stretching. Feel better!
- becky-balances likes this
- droppedthreads likes this
- x-opher said:This was my calfs after Saturday and why I’m still resting. Hope you get better soon, holmes.
- x-opher likes this
- pascal73 likes this
- spin-stir said:wow. sorry. ice ice baby. alternate icings at 5-10 min intervals. don’t run, don’t stretch today, ice. you’ll get back quick.
- squigglesforbrains likes this
- westcoastrunner said:Ice bath first!! Then vascular flush…3min heat then 1 min ice 3x in a row! Do it ALOT!!!
- rookcanrun said:What in the actual fuck? 70% it will be ok.
- runningforme likes this
- ouray said:That sucks! Get better fast!!
- thisfearlesslife said:massage the crap out of them! this is why im terrified of stretching.
- thisfearlesslife likes this
- gettingamyright likes this
- davidsgoals likes this
- rxingmyazzoff likes this
- countdowntooz said:Get in an ice cold bath!
- runningwithpump likes this
- notjuststrongforagirl likes this
- nerdyjess said:Ugh. Stop hurting yourself! Xxoo
- nerdyjess likes this
- keepingupwithmcjones likes this
- easybeinggreene said:Are you telling me stretching just ruined your weekend? Sucks!
- runningwithguts posted this